Saturday, November 1, 2008

National Air Race 2008

What good luck I had, I really wanted to join the competition, but cannot find a team. Then by chance Ernest cannot go for the competition due to AOS (he's a mugger) and I get to replace him yay. So woke up super early today... took MRT all the way to Thiong Bahru and met up with the other 2 participants, Nigel and Wei Xiang. Waited at Mac for TanCG, the teacher in charge. He is very nice and friendly, even treated all of us to breakfast at Mac. After eating breakfast went to PSB Academy, the place hosting the event. After a short wait, we went into a room and were briefed on how to play with the flight simulator, or in this case, a refresher course since I attended the sabbatical before. After some cool videos and a not so short refresher course, we were given the first envelope and the race starts. The starting airport is some small airport in a ulu location somewhere in Germany. The takeoff was easy and did not require much adjustment to reach the desired heading. Oh btw it was a team event and I was in charge of flying and Nigel and Wei Xiang did the calculations. So I continue to climb to the cruising altittude which was assumed by us to be 10000 ft when suddenly I saw the recommended cruising altittude printed in large bold blue words on the maps... 5500 ft -.- Drats... Did a quick decent, and reached the first checkpoint without problems. Due to some graphical glitch, I didn't see the landmark we were supposed to fly to and overshot quite abit. Nonetheless it was considered pass and the next envelope was given. By this time Daman High was way ahead already, as they did not overshot the first checkpoint... The rest of the race was rather uneventful, except the constant struggle with the controlled to keep the airplane from banking right and pitching up (now got muscle aches liao... imagine doing it for 1 hour). Landing was quite ok. So sad didn't win team event... Came in 5th. Next was the Individual Best Spot Landing event. I held back and took some time watching the other schools coming in for landing. Eventually I went and performed my landing quite nicely, was actually hoping to win 1st. However the might of Daman High was simple... too high... The won 1st for that too. I came in 2nd. If I'm not wrong, I would be following the other winners to have a 1 hour flying experience in a $100 million Boeing Commercial Flight Simulator. Ah wells, I think that would be at least 3 physics ACE down for next year too ^^. After that got dagged by my mom to Chinatown. WORST shopping experience ever... Guys hate shopping enough already... Added with my acheing arm, uncomfortable school uniform... thats it man... Shopping SUX! Heh... But I'm in a good mood finally! Had lotsa fun playing with the flight simulator, and most of all, getting to WIN and bring back a cool looking trophy! Yay!

~ Anyone interested in playing VCO with me?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home